The Exeter & Heart of Devon Employment and Skills Board (EHOD ESB) are working with local councils and the Growth Point team to maximise the potential for recruitment of local skills development and employment. In the Construction Industry this may be achieved through the adoption of the Construction Industry Training Board’s (CITB) Client Based Approach (CBA) which sets the expectation that construction companies and their sub contractors, whether new build or for maintenance, invest in local skills development and employment opportunities, managed and measured through a set of key performance indicators (KPI) commensurate with the project type and scale.
We are delighted that Willmott Dixon who will be building a home for the final part of the Met Office’s new supercomputer at the Exeter Science Park have already committed to:
- Local spending, labour and employment which through a set of KPIs enable them to quantify the indirect economic impact of their work on local communities
- Participate in the Construction Ambassadors’ scheme, where Willmott Dixon employees, visit schools, colleges and career events, and organise site visits and share positive experiences, promoting construction as a rewarding career.
Nationally Willmott Dixon’s 2014 community investment activities included:
- £2.27 million contributed to enhancing local communities
- 1,854 young people mentored
- 326 young people had work placements
- 500+ fundraising events for charity
- 57 careers events interacting with 3,700 young people
- 372 community events, from garden makeovers to renovations and repairs
- 11 fantastic activities in the management trainee challenge contributing over £250,000 to local communities
- 1,546 young people had their prospects transformed, (under Willmott Dixon’s definition) which is halfway towards h their target of 3000
- £2,827 added by The Foundation’s Just Giving process to the £49,000 raised by staff through individual projects
Willmott Dixon say that “social and community investment and engagement is locked into our corporate DNA!”